Over the years, people have raised concern about men drinking soy milk as part of a regular diet. A concern is raised about soy milk due to the affects it has towards hormone imbalance that primarily affect men, particularly in regards to reproductive health.
On the flip side, many men who consume the dairy-free beverage have thrived well on soy milk without negative adverse effects. However, there remains concerns about the safety of men who drink soy milk regularly.
What are the soy milk side effects for males? Large consumption of soy milk can have some side effects on men. This includes reproductive system, erectile dysfunction, low libido, and sperm count that are the leading results of hormone imbalance.
Soy milk contains an organic compound called isoflavones that provides the chemical substance phytoestrogen. This compound (phytoestrogen), affects the production of oestrogen in the body, negatively impacting the male reproductive system.
With time, it causes feminine hormonal in the male reproductive system. In fact, males start developing certain female traits such as breast enlargement and changes in emotional responses that may lead to erectile difficulties, reduced libido and low sperm count.
Furthermore, some men encounter allergic reaction to soy products, and consuming soy milk may trigger skin rashes, vomiting, diarrhea, itching and breathing difficulties.
Generally, soy milk contains sugars that are not easily digestible. Consuming a large amount of soy milk may cause stomach discomfort like constipation and diarrhea in some men.
For men suffering from low blood sugars, consuming a large amount of soy milk can deplete the iodine levels. The isoflavones in their bodies cause thyroid dysfunction that may lead to diabetes.
Due to the large number of oxalates in soy milk, consuming too much may cause men to get kidney stones or kidney failure.
Note consuming too much soy may cause more harm to the men. It’s advisable to have a clear understanding on diet restrictions, and consume soy milk in moderation.
Answered below are frequently asked questions about the side effect of men drinking soy milk. This article discusses the positives and negatives of soy milk that males should be aware of.
Is soy milk good for men?
Yes, soy milk is good for men. However, it must be drank in moderate amounts as long as the individual is not allergic to soy products.
Soy milk is one of the best dairy-free beverages since it has many essential compounds that are very useful in overall health. These micro and macro nutrients include isoflavones, low levels of saturated fats, protein, and essential vitamins and minerals like potassium.
Benefits a man can get from consuming soy milk include:
- Improving cardiovascular health: Low level of saturated fats and sodium ions in soy milk reduce the level of cholesterol in the body that assist heart function, decreasing the risk of heart disease. [1, 2, 3]
- Prevent cancer: High level of isoflavone chemical in soy milk is one of the factors in preventing prostate and lung cancer in men. [4, 5, 6]
- Reducing the risk of 2-type diabetes: Soy milk contains micronutrients such as magnesium and vitamin D, and the nondairy drink has a low glycemic index that aids in preventing type 2 diabetes. [7, 8]
- Improve mental health: The presence of micronutrients like magnesium and vitamin B-6 enhance the development of the neuro chemical serotonin. And again, the presence of vitamin D in soy milk makes it effective in treating seasonal mental disorders like stress and depression. [9, 10]
What does soy milk do to the male body?
Soy milk works positively and negatively on male bodies depending on diet restriction and the amount of soy consumed.
Positive effects of soy milk on male body:
- Boosts the development of neurochemical serotonin, which becomes a vital element in the treatment of antidepressant medication such as diabetes and depression.
- Minerals such as calcium act like antioxidants that help male bodies eliminate disease such as prostate, lung, and intestinal cancer.
- Reduces cholesterol levels in men due to low saturation of fats, which improves male cardiovascular health.
- Lowers the glycemic index in male bodies and increases the amount of magnesium and vitamin D, which reduces the risk of Type 2 diabetes.
Negative effects of soy milk in a man’s body:
- A large amount of soy milk increases the number of isoflavones in the male body, which causes estrogen imbalance. This makes the male-body mimic feminine characteristics such as broad breasts, affect penal erection and lower the sperm count in a man’s semen, which may cause issues with infertility.
- When allergic to soy products, soy milk may trigger reactions like breathing difficulties, itching and skin rashes.
Why can’t guys drink soy milk?
From breakfast to creamer for coffee, soy milk is delicious and versatile. Doctors typically recommend limiting intake to one or two servings of soy based foods per day, and avoid consuming everyday.
The reasons that guys shouldn’t drink soy milk regularly include:
- Increased estrogen levels that may have side effects on male reproductive health and female traits such as a soft voice and breast growth.
- Triggers oestrogen levels that reduce testosterone, soy milk may cause a problem in erection, low sperm count and low libido.
- When a man is allergic to soy products, soy milk may trigger reactions like diarrhea, vomiting, itching and skin rashes.
- With low blood sugar and regular use of low blood sugar medication, soy milk can be dangerous since it may deplete the insulin levels and cause diabetes.
Is soy bad for testosterone?
No, soy is not bad for testosterone. In fact, natural soy milk consumed in moderate amounts does not raise the level of estrogen or testosterone in men.
However, there may be problems when consuming large amounts of processed soy products like soy milk and tofu.
According to the research, it has been shown to increase the level of estrogen in a man’s body, which lowers the level of testosterone. As a result, men have been shown to possess female traits like larger breasts and sexual disorders like poor penile erection and low sperm count. 
Can soy milk cause erectile dysfunction?
Yes, soy milk can cause erectile dysfunction. Processed soy milk possesses a large amount of isoflavone, and consuming too much can lead to hypogonadism and erectile dysfunction.
The high amount of isoflavone daidzein has been recorded as one of the combinations that increases the level of estrogen, which in turn decreases the level of natural testosterone and raises the level of DHEA levels affecting the proper function of the penis. 
Therefore, is is advised to consume soy milk in moderation with no more than one to two servings per day. Drinking soy milk without excess can help develop muscles, strong bones and joints, and prevent osteoporosis.
Side Effects of Soy Milk for Men: Conclusion
Soy milk is a very nutritious beverage that both vegans and vegetarians consume regularly as a dairy-free alternative. However, guys should consume a moderate amount to enjoy the benefits of soy milk without experiencing negative side effects.
Soy milk contains isoflavone, a compound that at a high level can cause some reproductive problems like erectile dysfunction, low libido and low sperm count in men.
For soy milk to cause hormone imbalance in a male body, one must have consumed a lot of it. Therefore, no one should be afraid of soy milk as long as they drink it moderately.
Any men allergic to soy products must keep away from soy milk since it can trigger allergic reactions.
Generally, soy milk has more health benefits to a man, provided it is consumed in the right amounts. The benefits include improving cardiovascular health, prevent cancer, lowering chance of type-2 diabetes, and improved mental health.
Unless you are allergic to soy products and soy milk, then it should be ok to drink once in a while. As always, consult with a doctor, dietician or nutritionist to understand daily intake amounts so you avoid negative impacts to your health.